The A.M. Strange was a library opened solely to African Americans because they were not welcome at the Lee County Public Library. The A.M. Strange Library received the white library’s used books and was vastly inadequate as far as space and materials. Sources: Interview with Vera Dukes and Frances Williams.
Alcorn State University is a historically black university located near Lorman, Mississippi. Founded in 1871 by the Reconstruction era legislature, the university was the first black land grant college in the United States and provided higher education for freedmen. Medgar Evers, the first NAACP field secretary, graduated from Alcorn State University in 1948. In addition, the […]
This church was once pastored by the Rev. R. L. T. Smith. During the 1960s, the building was the Anderson United Methodist Church, which is now located on Hanging Moss Road. Police reports often tracked NAACP meetings in order to document civil rights activities. Once such report stated that the purpose an NAACP meeting that […]
The Antioch Missionary Baptist Church outside Blue Mountain was burned on October 30, 1964, a few hours after a rally and voter registration drive for the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party’s “Freedom Vote”at which delegate Fannie Lou Hamer spoke. Civil rights workers planned to use the church as a polling place before it was burned. Worker […]
Headquarters for the movement where many of the rallies were held. It is the third oldest black Baptist Church in Mississippi. Every night, mass meetings would occur here. They taught classes and showed films at the church. Lott said that entertainers such as Joan Baez came to perform and support the movement. This is also […]
In 1995, the Jackson City Council named this park in honor of Benjamin Brown. On May 10, 1967, when two African American police officers attempted to arrest a speeder on Lynch Street at Jackson State, they were harassed by swarms of students, setting off two days of unrest that culminated in the tragic death of […]
This gallery was started by Ms. Hilda Casin, and admission is free. It houses a variety of African and African-American artifacts, pictures, books, charts, and historical materials.
Located in the former residence of William Dakota and Adrienne Combs Webb, the home was donated to the city Corinth in 1990. Adrienne Combs Webb (1896-1987) was the daughter of J. B. Combs, principal of the Colored School. The African-American couple’s home was renovated and used as a shelter for families who experienced tragic losses. […]
The burned 1963 blue Ford station wagon driven by the three missing civil rights workers (Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner) was found by a Choctaw Indian in the Bogue Chitto Swamp thirteen miles northeast of Philadelphia on Highway 21. Investigating officers said the car was probably driven to this location and burned sometime late Sunday night […]
Booker T. Washington School was a black school in the 1960s that taught first through fifth grade. Today it is no longer in operation. Sources: Payne, Charles M. I’ve Got the Light of Freedom: the Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle. Berkeley: University of California P, 1995. Henry, Aaron, and Curry Constance. Aaron Henry: […]
The first school for black children in the city of Philadelphia was held in the Black Masonic Lodge just off Wilson Street. Mr. and Mrs. Ed Stephens organized the school with Mrs. Stephens being one of the first teachers. The school’s name was Neshoba County School. The next location for the black school was on […]
In 1961, 15-year-old Burglund student Brenda Travis along with 20-year-olds Ike Lewis and Bobbie Talbert were arrested and jailed for participating in a sit-in demonstration at the Greyhound bus terminal. The school’s principal, Mr. Commodore Dewey Higgins, suspended Brenda Travis for her arrest, prompting students to request an explanation of his actions. Mr. Higgin’s lack […]
The Burglund Supermarket was joint business venture established in the 1950s by local black businessmen, Mr. G.W. Martin, Mr. Pete Lewis, Mr. Percy Larry, Mr. Charlie Gavden, and Mr. Jack Morgan. The Masonic Temple (Eureka Lodge No. 5) was located above the market. It was the site of voter registration classes and housed the SNCC […]
Today, Jackson State University encompasses the former Campbell College, founded in 1890 in Vicksburg, MS. The college moved to Jackson in 1898 and was supported by the African Methodist Episcopal Church until the time of its last graduating class in 1964. Since Campbell College was a church-supported school, many of its administrators and students openly […]
The Canton Multicultural Center & Museum is a celebration of the diverse cultures and contributions of the citizens of Canton and Madison County to the history of the city, state, and nation. The permanent exhibit focuses on the history, family life, business and community life of African Americans and recounts their struggle for civil rights. […]
Carver Avenue was named after George Washington Carver, a prominent African-American. It is the “main street”of the predominantly African-American community in Philadelphia. Most black businesses were located on Carver Avenue during the civil rights movement and remain there today. Sources: Neshoba County: African-American Heritage Driving Tour of Philadelphia Mississippi.